Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Extreme Bedroom Makeover

 A friend contacted me wanting to make-over her bedroom as a surprise for her husband while he was out of town. We worked like crazy and had so much fun making-over this bedroom in 7 days for under $600!  She loved it, but would he?  The answer . . . YES!!!  He was pleasantly surprised when he returned home!  The project was a success!  I love happy endings!


 BEFORE:

While beautiful architectural features, one of the major practical problems my clients had with their bedroom was the semi-circle window and vaulted ceiling.  They struggled to come up with a window covering that was affordable and which they liked (the vaulted ceiling made typical curtains a non-option), and the light from the window was over-bearing, interfering with their sleep.


AFTER:


We came up with a flat panel solution for the window to block out the light.  Essentially, we cut a semi-circle from a large piece of recycled cardboard to the size of the window, covered it in fabric (stripe to the interior and white to the exterior) and fit it into the window. Then we made a typical roman blind for the square portion of the window.  A very simple and very affordable solution which will allow my clients to get more sleep! 

This chair was particulary important to my friend's husband as it had belonged to who his father who had passed away.  Rather than taking a chance to change such a special piece, we chose to change the rest of the room to fit the chair.  It became the starting place for the new design, and we derived the green and grey colour scheme from it.

Chair before:
Chair after: safe and unchanged, with it room it belongs to.

 To save on time and money, we tried to work with as much of what my client already had as possible and dressed it up.  One of my favourite pieces that we added to the room is this ruffled throw we made for the foot of the bed (tutorial to follow). 




It added colour, texture and interest to the room.  Love it!


 BEFORE:


 My client's were using this large rectangular wardrobe for clothes storage.  While not a bad piece in itself, because it did not match the chair, or bed (3 different woods in isolation) it couldn't stay the way it was.  I didn't believe that painting it out in white would help as there was too much repetition on the wall in large white rectangles.

AFTER:


My client decided to refinish an old dresser she had just sitting in her garage from her grandmother in an antique ivory.  The smaller form coupled with the mirror helped to break up the wall and worked much better with the overall design.

It was a crazy week, but well worth it!


8 comments:

  1. I love this! I am just curious how you hung the curtain in the rounded window? If you read this and have a chance to reply my email is lcarlsonmommy@gmail.com Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dresser and mirror! I love being crafty it's a hobby! I had the same idea (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you wrapped a piece of cardboard in cloth and put it in the top semi-circle part of the window ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you glue the fabric to the cardboard? I have been struggling with the same window and am so glad I found your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really pretty. Cozy, but also reminds me of a hotel...clean & pretty! I love your blog & have been on here many times! The 'ask abby' is really cool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive me for being so dunce. How did you measure? Did you place the cardboard on the window and used a measuring tape? Sorry for sounding so dumb. Wish you did a step by step instructions.thank you

    ReplyDelete